Monday, July 12, 2010

The Canvas Shop




Yes that is a DAP plaster of pairs bucket and duct tape both are essential items for any canvas shop. Duct tape because sometimes you need more hands and the bucket just happens to be the perfect size for stretching winch covers specifically Barient 21 and 22 size winches.

The early projects I began with some left over duck cloth from my previous boat. The duck cloth was inexpensive in comparison to the outdoor canvas and I had it laying around. For a few prototypes it has worked well but the prototypes are already showing signs of fading and breaking down in the sun and I will have to replace them sooner than the projects I have done later this season.

I started making a depth finder cover and 2 winch cover for the 21's on top of the cabin from the old duck cloth. The depth finder cover fit perfectly but the winch covers took a bit more coxing to get them on . Thus the introduction of the DAP Bucket for the 22's I made later with outdoor canvas.

The outdoor canvas is far superior to the duck cloth having used both now and seeing the results of the sun on each I highly recommend going with the outdoor canvas but one word of warning if you iron the outdoor canvas be sure to use a iron set on very low heat as their is some sort of water proof coating that will melt off if your iron is to hot.

My other canvas projects this year have included a main hatch cover and mast boot cover.
I also laid out and redesigned the tiller cover.

I will probably get a few other things made before the season is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment